Thursday, February 28, 2019

Ms Evans' Reading Challenge (1)

Chapter 1 of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian written by Sherman Alexie is a great introduction to a (hopefully) great story. Sherman Alexie uses sarcasm and humour to entertain his audience and make his story relatable to everyone that reads it. Personally, I love how he captivates his readers with lines that make us want to read more. For example, the first line in the book is 'I was born with water on the brain.' Lines like this make the audience want to read more and really captivate readers. In chapter one we are introduced to a boy named Junior and the beginning of his story. We learn that he is a boy that was born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside his skull. He is 14 years of age and lives on a Native American reservation. As a result of the 'water on the brain' he suffers from brain damage and is a prisoner to occasional seizures and poor eyesight among many other things. I love how Sherman Alexie doesn't give his characters perfect lives because it makes them more relatable and everyone has something in common with them. I am excited to learn more about Junior and his lifestyle. I think I will like this book even though it isn't the style I normally read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.